A study performed by Virginians for the Arts describes the economic impact of arts and cultural organizations in Virginia.
Arts and cultural organizations in Virginia annually generate:
- $849 million in revenues for Virginia businesses
- $342 million in revenues for Virginia tourism related businesses through spending by visitors to arts and cultural organizations.
As a result of the business revenues created by Virginia arts and cultural organizations, the state’s economy benefits from:
- $447 million in value-added income (mainly personal income) for Virginia’s workforce and entrepreneurs;
- $307 million in annual labor compensation for Virginia’s workforce;
- Well over18,850 full and part-time jobs.
Virginia’s arts and cultural organizations also:
- Host nearly 30 million patrons each year;
- Attract out-of- state visitors (37% of paid admissions to arts and cultural organizations live outside
- Supplement their budgets with an estimated $62 million in grant income annually;
- Raise an estimated $74 million in contributions annually;
- Organize 1.4 million volunteer hours improving the quality of life for all Virginians.